The knee joint is called JanuSandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu Basti is given to the procedure done on knee joints. In this, the knee joint is bathed with warm medicated oil or freshly prepared herbal decoction. Depending on the condition it can be practiced over both the knee joints or on one knee joint. Knee joints are considered as sandhi Marma in Ayurveda (joint type of vital areas) which measure about three fingers (three anguli Brahmanas). So the januvasti is specialized knee therapy or massage which rejuvenates the Janu marma.
The person is made to lie on his back on the massage table (Droni).
A reservoir made of black gram dough is built upon the Knee Joint. The dough ring should be such that it covers the knee joint.
After ensuring the ring is leakproof, the lukewarm medicated oil or herbal decoction is slowly poured into it. When that cools down, it is squeezed out with cotton gauze and the procedure is repeated.
At the end of the procedure, the ring is removed and the affected area may be gently massaged The person is then made to take a rest for a short while.
Duration of treatment: 30 minutes Procedure
- Position of the person undergoing Januvasti should be supine that is face-up on a massage table or make him sit by bending his legs in the knee joint.
- Before Januvasti, local massage with oil is done to improve the absorption of medicated oil or decoction of herbs according to the requirement of the person.
- The dough is prepared by using black gram flour or wheat flour. • Boundaries, where the oil is to be poured, are completely sealed with the help of dough.
- The medicated oil is soaked up, heated to become lukewarm, and pored back again by adding fresh oil to it. This is repeated during the whole procedure.
- Duration of treatment varies considering the condition and requirement of the patient.
The benefit of JanuVasti:-
- Lubricates knee joint •
- Increases mobility of knee joint
- Nourishes and strengthens the muscles, bones, and nerves around the knee joint
- Increase blood circulation
- Soothes and relieves the pain, spasm, rigidity, and inflammation around the knee joint and calf region.
- Protects cartilages of the knee joint from wear and tear.
- Knee joint pain
- Joint degeneration
- Ligament tear
- Post-surgical distress
- Sports injuries
- Knee joint strain and sprain.
Points to be remembered before coming for Basti
• Evacuate stools or urinate before coming to the Vasti table.
• Do not lift any kind of heavy stuff during the treatment course.
• Correct your sitting and standing postures.
Mode of Action of JanuVasti:–
The knee is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. The knee joins the thigh bone (femur) to the shin bone (tibia). The smaller bone that runs alongside the tibia (fibula) and the kneecap (patella) are the other bones that make the knee joint.
Tendons connect the knee bones to the leg muscles that move the knee joint. Ligaments join the knee bones and provide stability to the knee:
Two C-shaped pieces of cartilage called the medial and lateral menisci to act as shock absorbers between the femur and tibia.
Numerous bursae, or fluid-filled sacs, help the knee move smoothly.
When the treatment procedure starts the first organ which will be in contact with the medicine is the skin. Skin is a large, highly complex organ and structurally integrated organ system and the component of the skin are the cutaneous membrane associated with hairs, nails, and exocrine glands, the cutaneous membrane has two components, superficial epithelium or epidermis and the underlying connective tissue of the dermis. The quality of the skin is supported by an extensive network of blood vessels, and sensory receptors that monitor touch, pressure, temperature, and pain. Our body is made up of different types of cells and each cell membrane is made up of phospholipids. Lipid soluble substances can easily cross the cell membrane and so the base of the medicine used for treatment is in lipid form (medicated oils). When the procedure starts, medicated oil crosses the cell membrane through the skin, and the functions of phospholipids will increase and act as a carrier for various cellular elements or impurities which are responsible for the formation of diseases.
The Lukewarm oil will increase the temperature to more than 2 to 3c in the localized area, by which vasodilatation will happen and the blood circulation will increase and necessary oxygen and nutrition materials are supplied and the free radicals which are responsible for the disease will be removed. This therapy produces a sedative effect because of the pharmacological action of the used medicine like Anti-inflammatory action, Analgesic action, muscle relaxant, etc., and acts as a counter-irritant which is the thermal stimulus and may affect the pain sensation.
It also induces muscles relaxation and increases the efficiency of muscle activity as the increased blood supply ensures the optimum condition for muscle contraction; it nourishes the muscle, bone and nerve, cartilage and lubricates the joint, and stops the denegation of the knee joint because of the therapeutic action of the medicine and procedure.